The Top 5 Services You Should Do Every Year
As a car owner, keeping up with regular maintenance is essential to ensure that your vehicle runs smoothly and remains safe on the road. While there are many different types of services your car may require, here are the top 5 services that you should do every year:
- Oil Change
Regular oil changes are one of the most essential services you can do for your car. Oil lubricates the engine, helping it to run smoothly and preventing wear and tear on critical components. Change your oil every 5,000 miles or every 6 months, whichever comes first. You may need one sooner if:
- Your oil level is low, or the condition is bad – You can check the oil level and condition by using the dipstick under the car’s hood. If the oil level is low or looks dirty and black, it may be time for an oil change.
- Your warning light comes on – Many newer cars have sensors that detect when the oil needs to be changed and display a warning light or message on the dashboard. If you see one of these warnings, you must change your oil soon.
- You’re driving a lot – Most car manufacturers recommend an oil change every 5,000 to 7,500 miles or every 6 months, whichever comes first. Following this schedule is an excellent way to ensure that your car’s oil changes regularly and your engine stays healthy.
Oil is the lifeblood of your vehicle! Ensure that an oil change is on the list if you’re doing any maintenance this year.
- Brake Inspection
Brakes are critical to your safety on the road, so it’s essential to have them inspected regularly. This includes checking the brake pads and rotors for wear and tear and the brake fluid level. Here are 3 ways to know it’s time for a brake inspection:
- Listen for unusual noises – If you hear grinding, squeaking, or scraping noises when you apply the brakes, it could be a sign that the brake pads are worn down and must be replaced. Ignoring these sounds can lead to more severe brake problems and potential safety hazards.
- Pay attention to brake pedal feel – If the brake pedal feels spongy or goes to the floor, it could be a sign of a brake fluid leak or air in the brake lines. If the pedal feels stiff and unresponsive, it could indicate worn brake pads or other brake system problems. Any changes in brake pedal feel should be inspected by a mechanic.
- Check for visual signs of wear – You can inspect the brake pads by looking through the wheel spokes. If the pads look thin, worn down, or uneven, they may need to be replaced. You can also look for signs of leaks or corrosion on the brake calipers and brake lines. Any visible signs of wear or damage should be inspected by a mechanic.
You should have your brakes inspected at least once yearly, but come in sooner if something feels off!
- Tire Rotation and Balancing
Your tires wear unevenly over time, affecting your vehicle’s handling and safety. Having your tires rotated and balanced regularly helps to ensure even wear and prolongs the life of your tires. You should have your tires rotated and balanced every 6,000-8,000 miles.
- Air Filter Replacement
The air filter in your car helps to keep dirt and debris out of your engine, which can cause damage over time. It’s recommended that your air filter be replaced every 12,000-15,000 miles or once a year, whichever comes first.
- Coolant Flush
Coolant is responsible for keeping your engine from overheating, and it can break down over time, reducing its effectiveness. Having your coolant flushed and replaced every 30,000-50,000 miles helps to ensure that your engine stays cool and runs smoothly.
- We Can Help Keep Your Car Healthy At Town Center Automotive
All cars have their share of issues, and it’s important to fix them in a timely manner. The above are things under your control–by following these recommendations and keeping up with regular maintenance, you can prolong the life of your vehicle and avoid costly repairs down the road. However, no one is perfect. If you do need a repair, it’s important to get it done with a shop you trust ASAP!
To request an estimate, visit our website. Our two convenient locations are 14725 SE 82nd Drive in Clackamas and 16116 NE Halsey Street in. Portland, Oregon. Our business hours for both shops are Monday through Friday, 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM. We look forward to serving you soon!